Each week, SBLive ranks the top 25 teams across the state of Washington, regardless of classification. Here’s a look at how those teams fared in games played in Week 5 of the 2022 high school football season.
HOW THE TOP 25 FARED — OCT. 1
1. YELM TORNADOS 5-0 (3A) beat North Thurston, 63-0
The blowout win is becoming routine for the Tornados. Seven different players scored touchdowns for Yelm in the 3A SSC win.
2. O’DEA FIGHTING IRISH 4-1 (3A) lose to No. 3 Eastside Catholic, 24-17
RB Jason Brown (68 yards, no TDs) never got loose for game-changing play as Irish held to 261 yards. O’Dea has lost six of past eight games in this blockbuster series.
3. EASTSIDE CATHOLIC CRUSADERS 5-0 beat No. 2 O’Dea, 24-17
Yes, QB Brady McKelheer makes a few gaffes. He also has a magic in that right arm, which was on display in leading offense 78 yards in 38 seconds for winning score.
4. GLACIER PEAK GRIZZLIES 4-1 (4A) beat Mariner, 42-7
Two quick touchdowns to open the game and the Grizzlies handed Mariner its first loss. RB Ryan King ran for three touchdowns, and QB River Lien threw for two scores.
5. EMERALD RIDGE JAGUARS 4-1 (4A) beat South Kitsap, 40-12
Jaguars executed all night long and cruised right on by the Wolves. QB Jake Schakel tossed two touchdowns, and four different players scored rushing touchdowns.
6. LYNDEN LIONS 5-0 (2A) beat Sehome, 21-19
A sloppy game for the Lions – maybe Sehome is that good – but Lane Heeringa came up big with two rushing scores and the interception that put the game to bed.
7. GONZAGA PREP BULLPUPS 4-1 (4A) beat Ridgeline, 49-12
Someday, the Falcons might grow into a serious contender. But this was a bad spot facing the GSL champions, who rolled up 491 rushing yards in runaway victory.
8. LAKE STEVENS VIKINGS 3-2 (4A) beat Jackson, 1-0
The Vikings will have to wait another week to take the field with Jackson forfeiting due to a lack of healthy players.
9. BELLEVUE WOLVERINES 3-2 (3A) beat Newport of Bellevue, 56-14
Third time in the past four meetings that the Wolverines eclipsed the 50-point mark – in front of a big homecoming crowd out to cheer on the reigning 3A champions.
10. LINCOLN ABES 5-0 (3A) beat Bonney Lake, 43-32
What a special talent QB Gabarri Johnson is. He lit up the Panthers’ defense, completing 15 of 18 passes for 305 yards and five touchdowns.
11. KENNEWICK LIONS 4-1 (3A) lose to No. 15 Chiawana, 24-13 (Thu.)
Still a difficult game to digest as Lions rally to grab 13-2 lead, only to “fumble” it away with a string of second-half turnovers – six overall – in Lampson Stadium loss.
12. KENNEDY CATHOLIC LANCERS 4-1 (4A) beat Federal Way, 40-8
In the 4A NPSL, it’s the Lancers’ world and everyone else is living in it. Defense sparkled, and RB Xe’ree Alexander (two TDs) has case as state’s top two-way player.
13. SUMNER SPARTANS 4-1 (4A) beat No. 20 Graham-Kapowsin, 34-31
Eagles had no answer for RB Matthew Spurbeck, who ran for a career-high 279 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Spartans in an important 4A SPSL matchup.
14. LAKES LANCERS 4-0 (3A) beat Silas, 70-28
Hard to believe the Lancers trailed at any point, but they turned a six-point deficit into a one-way track meet quickly behind RB Ki’marree Washington’s four touchdowns.
15. CHIAWANA RIVERHAWKS 5-0 (4A) beat No. 11 Kennewick, 24-14 (Thu.)
Bend-but-don’t-break defense was fantastic all night, and key play in comeback was DJ Duran’s 39-yard non-scoring pass to to Hunter Azure-Pryce to get wheels turning.
16. MONROE BEARCATS 5-0 (3A) beat Mountlake Terrace, 49-7
Holding only a seven-point lead at halftime, Monroe turned it up a notch in the second half, scoring five consecutive touchdowns to roll past Mountlake Terrace.
17. PUYALLUP VIKINGS 4-1 (4A) beat Rogers of Puyallup, 40-0
Puyallup rebounded from last week’s loss to Sumner with convincing win over its city rival. ATH Jacob Velasco had a pick-6 and blocked punt for the Vikings.
18. GARFIELD BULLDOGS 5-0 (3A) beat Ballard, 55-6
Bulldogs’ ninth grade RB Reylen Witherspoon posted another 100-plus yard game on the ground on just 11 carries in the Metro League victory.
19. EASTLAKE WOLVES 4-1 (4A) beat Woodinville, 27-0 (Sat.)
It’s rare to blank Woodinville, but Wolves defense was relentless – and so was RB Blake Borup, who tallied three second-half touchdowns after scoreless first half.
20. GRAHAM-KAPOWSIN EAGLES 3-1 (4A) lose to No. 13 Sumner, 34-31
The Eagles were able to hang around with Sumner, but were ultimately undone by Matthew Spurbeck’s 279 yards on the ground.
21. STANWOOD SPARTANS 5-0 (4A) beat Arlington, 37-6
Ryder Bumgarner rushed for a pair of scores and Michael Mascotti was responsible for two other touchdowns to give Spartans a “Stilly Cup” win for the first time in 12 years.
22. RAINIER BEACH VIKINGS 4-1 (3A) beat Roosevelt 42-7
QB Chance Guadiz threw for three touchdowns and 326 yards, and RB Scottre Humphrey rushed for 143 yards and two touchdowns in the Vikings’ rout.
23. RICHLAND BOMBERS 4-1 (4A) beat Pasco, 49-0
Ninth grader Brody Bocek hauled in two first-half touchdowns, and Richland found little resistance from Pasco in the Bombers’ 500th program victory.
24. SKYVIEW STORM 4-1 (4A) beat Heritage, 51-0
Things came easy for Skyview as the Storm scored five times on their first seven plays on offense to bring the mercy-rule running clock came on in first quarter.
25. TUMWATER THUNDERBIRDS 4-1 (2A) lose to W.F. West, 28-7
Absolute dominance from W.F. West, which derailed Tumwater’s undefeated run. The Thunderbirds’ lone score was a pick-6 from DB Jadin Allen.